Sunday, December 4, 2011

I AM

I am the flag of the USA, My name is Old Glory
I fly atop the worlds tallest buildings
I stand watch in America's Hallways of Justice
I fly majestically over institutions learning
I stand guard with power in the world
Look Up and See Me!
I stand for peace, honor, truth and justice
I Stand for Freedom.
I am confident, arrogant and proud
When I am flown with my fellow banners
My head is a little higher, my colors a little truer
I Bow to No One!
I am recognized all over the world, I am saluted, loved, revered, respected
and I am feared!
I have fought in every battle, in every war for more than 200 years
I led my troops, I was dirty, battle worn and tired, but my soldiers cheered me and I was proud!
I have been burned, torn and tramped on in the streets of countries I have helped to set free
It does not hurt for I am invincible
I have been soiled upon, burned, torn and trampled in the streets of my country and when it is done by those whom I've served in battle - it hurts.
But I Shall Overcome. For I Am Strong!
My finest hours are yet to come.
When I am torn into strips and used as bandages for my wounded comrades on the battlefield
When I am flown at half mast to honor my soldier or when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving parent at the grave of their fallen son or daughter.
I Am Proud.

1 comment: